• Student-Athletes Thinking About Playing Sports in College


    The NCAA, or National Collegiate Athletic Association, is the agency that oversees and governs athletic matters for over 1,000 colleges and universities.  For the most part, schools are members of one of three divisions – typically denoted as Division I, Division II, or Division III.


    The Difference in Divisions (Division I, II, and III):

    • Athletic scholarships may be offered by Division I and Division II colleges

    •  Division III schools do not award athletic scholarships

      • D3 schools can award academic scholarships and need-based financial aid

    • There are approximately 350 Division I schools

    • There are approximately 310 Division II schools

    • There are approximately 440 Division III schools


    The Eligibility Center:

    • The NCAA “Eligibility Center” will certify the ACADEMIC and AMATEUR credentials for all college-bound student-athletes planning to play at D1 and D2 schools

    • Division III colleges and their athletes are not required to use the Eligibility Center

    • Prospective student-athletes must register with the NCAA “Eligibility Center” 

    This site provides key information regarding:

    • Your high school’s list of NCAA approved courses

    • Division I and Division II core course requirements

    • The Core GPA & Test Score Sliding Scale

    • Rule changes and relevant updates

    • Steps to register with the Eligibility Center


    The Student-Athlete “To Do” List:

    • visit the official NCAA website for more information:  NCAA

    • register with the NCAA Eligibility Center by the end of Junior year: Eligibility Center

    • log in to your account or create a new account

    • will be required to pay the $100 fee for the Academic & Amateurism Certification 

    • be sure the Eligibility Center code (9999) is listed as a score recipient for SAT/ACT tests

    • make sure the courses you have taken match your school’s list of approved core courses

    • have your official transcript sent to the Eligibility Center at the end of your Junior year

    • as a senior confirm your “Amateur” status with the Eligibility Center 

    • request final amateurism certification on or right after April 1 of your Senior year

    • after graduation, request for your Final Transcript to be sent to the Eligibility Center 


    For More Information:   

     NCAA Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete



    Call the NCAA at 1-877-262-1492